November 2, 2023 macOSWindows
- WriteMap view is now very much more performant for mind maps with more than a couple dozen nodes, in all layouts.
- App windows now open much quicker, and inter-window communication is now faster.
- Other code-level optimization and rewritten algorithms.
- Reduced time delay for beginning edits on newly added nodes.
- Updated backend code libraries.
- Integrated OpenAI writing assistant that allows you to employ the help of AI content generation throughout the process of your writing work.
- Settings for entering your own OpenAI API key to enable this feature, as well as configuring how you'd like to use it, including providing your own system prompt.
New Views and Layouts
- Nested Layout - A new mind map layout that provides a visual hierarchy of the WriteMap that's even more suited to the outline, nested style of writing.
- Document View - The windowed editor and Live Preview features have been neatly combined into a new view, allowing you to review your work in its entirely while also being able to make text edits.
New Quick Search
- The quick search interface design has now been streamlined and improved, no matter if you're searching from the WriteMap, content editor, or document view.
- Content matches are now more clearly denoted within the Quick Search function, for matches in both the node topic and contents.
- Improved animations when interacting with the mind map's nodes.
- Smoother transition from the intro view into a new WriteMap when creating one.
- New and improved opening content editor animations, with an animation speed setting.
- Added two new theme colors available for use in WriteMaps: Indigo and Brown.
- Importing from other file formats now also categorises node colors, instead of using a uniform color.
- In the intro view, the "Default Node Color" setting now also sets the "CREATE" button's color.
Improved Pan & Zoom
- Smoother autoscroll algorithm when dragging a node to the mind map's edge.
- More flexible scrolling and panning behaviour for smaller WriteMaps.
- Added the 'Center Root Node' option to several relevant menus.
- A 'Return To WriteMap' button is shown when the WriteMap is out of view.
- Smooth zoom: Use the pinch gesture on a trackpad, or hold the ctrl key and scroll to zoom.
Improved Spellcheck Capabilities
- Spellcheck can now also learn new spellings via the right-click menu's "Add to Dictionary" option.
- To unlearn spelling, right-click a word previously added to your dictionary and select "Remove from Dictionary".
Improved UI/UX Design
- On macOS, right-clicking text now also highlights it then shows the right-click menu in the editor.
- Swapped default keyboard shortcuts for "Quick Add Sibling Node" (now Shift + Enter), and "Quick Edit Title" (now Enter)
- Allowed the right-click menu to show even when no text is selected in the content editor.
- Added more robust options for exporting to the clipboard.
- Improved title bar functionality on Windows.
- Improved dark mode scrollbars on Windows.
Request Trial Extension
- Added a built-in method to extend your trial period, so you now have more time to discover how WriteMapper works best for you.
- Fixed malformed links within blockquotes in DOCX exports.
- Fixed emojis not appearing in full or missing in some cases in DOCX exports.
- Fixed lists in DOCX exports not showing correctly in Microsoft Word.
- Fixed invalid characters present in writemaps causing DOCX exports to not work.
- Removed images from RTF exports, as the file format does not strictly support images.
- Fixed arrow key inputs being swallowed by keyboard shortcuts, unable to navigate in dialogs.
- Fixed autocorrect erroneously correcting symbols and characters.
- Fixed a bug where TXT exports included HTML-formatted links in some instances.
- Corrected paragraph text size formatting for PDF exports.
- Fixed a bug where undo/redo actions could show search highlighting in the editor.
- Fixed a bug where node position in the WriteMap view could sometimes be inaccurate.
- Fixed mind map bug where arrow key navigation would sometimes not work after a period of use.
- Fixed mind map bug where collapsing a node then performing drag and drop could have unintended effects.
- Fixed an external monitor window positioning bug occurring on Windows.
- Fixed a node selection bug when using pointers or touch on Windows.
Released as version 4.2.0.
December 11, 2023 macOSWindows
Hey, it's Guan here, the solo developer behind WriteMapper.
WriteMapper 4 is now live on Product Hunt — come check out the launch and say hi! 👋
I first released WriteMapper six years ago as a simple mind-mapping writing app. While the main goal then was to try and start a software business, I also wanted to spend my time on making something worthwhile to add to the world, like a productivity tool.
Since then, I've improved it over time, adding features arising from your feedback. My big aspiration for WriteMapper is for it to help people write way more, produce way higher quality work, and all in way less time!
The new Version 4 I'm sharing with you today has a number of new features:
- ✨ Ask AI - Leverage OpenAI to brainstorm ideas and generate content.
- ✅ Better Performance - Optimized and ready for large WriteMaps.
- 👀 New Views & Layouts - Various visual layouts for your mind map.
- 📄 Document View - View and edit the full document.
- 🔎 Better Quick Search - Searches through contents of all nodes.
- 🎉 New Animations - Smoother transitions between app state.
- 🌈 New Colors - More colors make for more delight!
- 📒 And more - See what's new.
Today, WriteMapper is a robust content writing app that helps you create medium- to long-form content. It uses mind maps to let you zoom out and structure your work, yet also zoom in to the details for any node on the mind map. The app's features come together to create a supercharged content writing workflow, helping you turn your ideas into a final draft in no time.
I would love for you to download the free trial and let me know what you think about WM4's capabilities as a content writing tool.
Last but not least — WriteMapper's previous customers have been the entire reason that's helped me persist with working on it as a solo developer. As a small gesture of appreciation to thank those of you who've supported WriteMapper in its previous launches:
- All previous customers get 50% off, and customers who've bought WM1 will get free upgrades to WM4. Please check the License Manager to view your upgrading options.
- And if you'll be purchasing WriteMapper now for the first time, you'll enjoy this upgrade pricing for future version launches too!
Again, see you at the Product Hunt launch, and have a fantastic day! ✌️
P.S. - In case you might find it of interest, I've just added an "About Us" page. Check it out here.